Thursday, September 7, 2017

Love Entwined back

When I started quilting, I have found Ester Aliu's blog where she was writing about a quilt, what she saw in a black and white book and was enchanted with. She was looking for the original, what she has found finally, but unfortunately the owners did not wanted to share it with the public, not even a single photo in color. It is quite a strange and sad decision, because I understand that they did not want to put it to an exhibition, or open their home for the quilt lovers, but to refuse to give a single photo to someone who spent several years of her life with the reproduction of such a beauty, it is definitely not my way of thinking.

Anyway, regardless of Esther's warning that it is a huge undertaking I joined several others to create the quilt based on Ester's instructions. I have chosen linen for the background and I started stitching it by hand. After a few months (in part 3) I put it aside because I realised hand stitching is not my strength and it was patiently waiting in my WIP basket.

After finishing my skill builder and the 2 scrappy quilts I was thinking what to choose next. I thought let's continue with the finishes and give some air to my Love Entwined. In the meantime my skills are improved, I learned a lot about applique, and also about my taste, and I realised that I will never finish the original quilt - it is way too busy for me. So I decided to use machine applique and a much simpler arrangement. I kept the turn edge method, because one hearth block was already stitched, but I exchanged it to be stitched with invisible thread. I have to find some solution for the thread, because it broke one plastic spool an heavily distorted the other - I remembered why was I using the metal one last time. So the game is on, hearths are ready, only the blue leaves should be turned and stitched, and I have to find out something to close the corners.


Love Entwined based quilt design by me

No comments: